The large certificate of marriage is required by the court for marriages that took place in Canada. All certificates of marriage in Canada are in a similar format.
For marriages in Canada, the following are not acceptable to the court:
- small certificate of marriage (wallet sized),
- certified copy of registration of marriage,
- search letter of whether the marriage is registered or not,
- record of solemnization of marriage,
- or marriage documents issued by a religious group.
For marriages outside of Canada, it is still best to have a government-issued certificate of marriage. But if this is not possible, then you and the lawyer can discuss other options.