This is a large Alberta Certificate of Marriage specimen.
The large certificate of marriage is required by the court for marriages that took place in Canada. All certificates of marriage in Canada are in a similar format.
For marriages in Canada, the following are not acceptable to the court:
- small certificate of marriage (wallet sized),
- certified copy of registration of marriage,
- search letter of whether the marriage is registered or not,
- record of solemnization of marriage,
- or marriage documents issued by a religious group.
For marriages outside of Canada, it is still best to have a government-issued certificate of marriage. But if this is not possible, then you and the lawyer can discuss other options.